Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Some childhood favorite painters & printmakers

I was very lucky to see so many art museums, books, magazines, and prints as I was growing up. The books were mostly from the 1950s- 1970s; almost all of these folks are male and almost all of them are European.
Ivan Albright

Ivan Albright was perhaps my favorite painter. This portrait of Ida Rogers was begun when she was a teenager, and Albright spent about two years on it. He had such extreme attention for exaggerating details. I bet Joe Coleman loves him.
Double click above for legibility
This is a detail of an 8-foot-tall painting of a door. He worked on this painting for ten years.

Tamara de Lempicka

Modern and almost timeless, always gorgeous
Her nudes are somewhat Cubist- Art Deco!

Friedensreich Hundertwasser
He was a painter as well as an architect
and his buildings look like his paintings!

Alex Katz

Max Beckmann



Aubrey Beardsley
I love his prints, especially these boudoir/ toilette scenes.

Egon Schiele

I'm a fan of his drawings much more than his paintings. Can you read his hand in these blind contour lines!? What skill!

Edvard Munch
I also prefer his prints to his paintings. Go see them in person if you find or make an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does your voice sound like?