Sunday, December 18, 2011

My Bloody Eye


You can break blood vessels in your eye just from sneezing or coughing too hard. I was lying down in a sauna when I sneezed. The combination of increased circulation and the sudden burst of pressure caused some vessels to rupture, but it didn't hurt or affect my vision. (I didn't even realize for almost an hour!) Apparently, it's pretty common, so don't be scared if you puke or go bungee jumping and come up with a bloody eye. It heals itself and there are no meds for it. Using Visine or other "cures" can slow the healing process.
Photo by Dave Fischer/ cca.org

This is what it looked like when it first happened. What a shock to find in the mirror!

1 comment:

  1. I know this is a VERY old post, but thank you for it. I had this happen and I really needed to see a picture and have a moment of feeling okay about it. I was doing a thoughtless thing- smoking a cigarette at a party and talking too loudly, over the music. Noticed it the next day and almost cried. Thanks for the thoughtful, helpful words xo

    ReplyDelete

What does your voice sound like?