Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ketubah


(It's not the best photo of the piece, but it's the best one I have.)
A ketubah is a Jewish marriage contract, usually in the form of a decorative document. I made the ketubah for my brother and sister (in law) when they married. The lovebirds not only represent them, but my brother (our family raised lovebirds when we were little) and the jasmine flowers symbolize my sister because her name is Yasmeen.
I spent more than 60 hours illustrating this, doing the calligraphy in Hebrew and English, making the stained glass, and framing the piece. In person you can see the individual columns painted in the birds' feathers, as well as the texture of the skin on their feet.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

What does your voice sound like?